|16° C||77%||1012 hPa||11,2 km/h|
The inscription under the bust that one encounters next to the main road passing through the village of Pagos reads: “Paul Kuyper, Dutch agronomist, 1939-1971. He taught the farmers of Syros the greenhouse method of construction and cultivation, for the development of this land.”
Paul Kuyper arrived in Syros in 1963 where he studied the cultivation of vegetables in the climate of Greece and taught the farmers of the area how to build greenhouses, in essence setting up the first professional agricultural greenhouses of Greece before moving to Ierapetra, Crete.
Indeed, both in Pagos and the surrounding area, fertile soils of the valley house many greenhouses. Many are in good, functional condition, offering a significant boost to the production and sustainability of agricultural goods. But many are no longer functional, damaged and left abandoned, contaminating areas with pieces of nylon greenhouse covering torn and hanging from their metal structures.
This location consists of two such abandoned greenhouses in areas of Pagos and Galissas that had been intensively cultivated for many years but were now in disuse. Most of the soil in both sites was covered with a carpet of wood sorrels, swallowing the various plastic residues from previous agricultural use.